I Tried to Register and Was Blocked. How Do I Get Permission to Enroll?

I Tried to Register and Was Blocked. How Do I Get Permission to Enroll?

After searching the course catalog and finding the perfect Winter Session 2018 class, you try to register only to find that you’re blocked. Sound familiar? It can be a frustrating situation, but the good news is that there is probably a simple explanation.

There are certain situations that may cause you to be initially blocked from winter registration, including:

If you have not completed the necessary prerequisite requirements

If you receive a registration error indicating that you do not have the appropriate prerequisites to enroll in a course, submit a prerequisite override requestA prerequisite override does NOT guarantee enrollment in the course.

If you already applied for fall 2017 graduation

If you have already applied for graduation, you will be blocked from registering for any course during Winter Session 2018.  In order to take a winter session course, you need to contact the Registrar’s Office and ask that they term activate you for Winter Session 2018.

If you are registering for courses that have overlapping meeting patterns

You are not permitted to register for courses that meet at the same time or overlap in meeting patterns. However, if the overlap is minimal you may be permitted to register for courses that share a time conflict. Complete a time conflict form, obtain signatures from BOTH instructors, and submit the completed for to the Registrar’s Office before the end of the schedule adjustment period.

If you are registering for a course for a third (and final) time

You may not register for the same course more than two times. However, you can petition the Office of Undergraduate Education (OUE) for a third and final attempt of a course taken at UMBC or another institution.

If you are trying to register for more than 4.5 credits

Due to winter session’s compressed format (four weeks) enrollment is limited to a maximum of 4.5 creditsHowever, highly motivated and academically strong students can request permission to enroll in more than the designated winter course load limit. Download an Enroll for Excess Credit form and consult with your academic advisor.

If you are a visiting student and attempt to enroll in courses with prerequisite requirements

Visiting students who attempt to enroll in a course with prerequisite requirements will initially be BLOCKED from registering as UMBC’s online registration system cannot automatically verify prerequisites from another institution. You will need to submit a prerequisite override request.

What if I have a hold on my account? How do I remove it?

For specific information regarding your hold, contact the appropriate department:

Administrative Holds: Registrar’s Office
Financial Holds: Student Business Services
Health Services Holds: Health Services

Still unable to register?

If you are still unable to register for your course, contact the Office of Summer & Winter Programs.


Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *