How Many Credits Can I Take During Winter Session?
Due to winter session’s compressed format (four weeks) enrollment is limited to a maximum of 4.5 credits. However, highly motivated and academically strong students can request permission to enroll in more than the designated winter course load limit.
Strong candidates for approval will answer YES to the following questions:
- Do I have a GPA of 3.5 or above?
- Do I have a proven track record of taking 18+ credits during the semester while maintaining a high GPA?
- Have I clearly stated my reason for requesting Excess Credits?
- Has my advisor provided recommendations/comments in the appropriate section?
- Have I satisfied any Incompletes from the previous semester?
- If I am allowed to take these Excess Credits, will it enable me to complete all requirements for my degree this semester?
To Request Permission:
- Download an Enroll for Excess Credit form.
- Consult with your academic advisor and have them sign your form.
- Email the completed/signed form to the Office of Academic and Pre-Professional Advising at firstname.lastname@example.org
Please allow at least one week for review. Decisions are sent to the email provided on your request. If your request is approved, your maximum credit limit will be increased in the registration system and you will be instructed to add the overload course(s).
Are You A Visiting Student?
UMBC welcomes students from other colleges and universities who want to earn transferable credits during winter session. Visiting student must also submit an Enroll for Excess Credit Form if you plan to take more than 4.5 credits.. However, you must first be admitted to UMBC as a visiting student before you can register for classes. The deadline to apply for Winter Session 2018 is December 20, 2017.
Once you have been accepted, create your myUMBC account, using your UMBC campus ID number. This is where you will be able to enroll in classes.